Colobot Forum - International Colobot Community

Full Version: Future of Code Battles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wanted to say I think you guys did an amazing job with this latest release! Looks like a lot of hard work went into it... so yeah, great job Smile *applaudes*

On a side-note, seeing this new "Code Battles" mode being implemented reminded me of something I stated in my very first post on this Forum:
Quote:Colobot Development Hopes:
Would love to see some new buildings/bots/resources to expand the strategy side of the game. It was always when I thought the game was really starting to get interesting... needing to build up a whole autonomous colony that can withstand assault... but felt it never really went as far as it could have. I think it would be amazing to see a whole new set of missions to really bring the strategy side further involving an opposing enemy base, like some intelligent (and hostile) alien race that is also trying to colonize some planet you've landed on, and more military-ish programmable bots (like bipedal drones). Colobot Wars lol Would be an awesome basis for Colobot 2.0, eh? *nudge nudge* Anyways, keep up the awesome work and let me know if you need any help Wink

Way cool (and unexpected) to see my hopes for Colobot being manifested in some fashion :O I'm guessing there are plans (or even just ideas) for further development of "Code Battles" and content to support that side of the game... or perhaps you've already implemented all you had planned for it? I know from personal experience what it's like to release an update that you feel is 'feature complete' only to have fans expecting more lol so would love to hear the official word on this and the plans/ideas if there is indeed more features coming Smile
I'd say that new features come pretty much spontaneously. Our main goals were and are to refactor the source code, new features are just a side effect. They happen when someone has an idea, time and skill. It just so happen that there appeared so many new features in just this one single release.

No one can say for sure where this is going really. Plans are changing often. Just look at the milestones (https://github.com/colobot/colobot/miles...state=open). The next one (0.1.7) is described as just some things that will be probably almost unnoticeable for end-users, so boring. But somebody came up with an idea for new programming course (https://colobot.info/forum/showthread.php?tid=633) and we'll be probably working on that during development of 0.1.7. And there will probably happen much more, for example more high resolution graphics and fixing issues we don't know about yet Wink It only depends on us, volunteers.
Thank you for your good sentence Smile . It was hard to make it happen, but finally there it is.

Of course the Code Battles in GOLD-0.1.6 is just the beginning. Those levels are prepared as the preview of the future development of the game and they are not even finished. This new game mode will be expanded in future builds as well as new training course in Exercises and Challenges. There will be also new bots specifically desinged to building the base (so building WheeledGrabber in current code battle levels is only a placeholder now) and some other little surprises, if we will fit in time Smile .