Shoutbox archive

Go to last read | Mark all read

Nice work with the SatCom online
PR #809 stucked at installing shaders. It's already over an hour.
Windows 10 Anniversary Update is here finally! The Bash is real: http://i.imgur.com/pr8iwMA.png
Learn to compile things on Linux. Almost nobody (maybe closed source guys) releases binaries for Linux except in a form of packages (deb, rpm). Often there are not even packages, just the source code, because being able to compile something on Linux is considered a basic skill, especially with the tools like cmake existing to help with the building process. The user just needs to install the proper libraries pointed out by cmake in any way he wants. That's the most universal one can get in such a divided Linux world. A universal script is impossible to write as distros have different package systems, own repositories and the repositories are changing too, also how do you even choose which distros to support, are we going to select people by their operating systems now? I thought we were supposed to be multiplatform? What is more, I doubt that anybody will keep such a script up-to-date, if it even existed. It's bound to become useless after a while. It is not needed, the instructions in INSTALL.md are enough and they are universal.
About distributing official Linux packages: As far as there will be at least one universal terminal script that automates and helps users to compile and install GOLD on any distro, I'm ok with that solution. But what about debug builds?
Translations at all are very problematic, because game's script and levels will be almost completely rewritten in the future. In the case of CBOT documentation (depends on how we will rewrite it's engine and structure) there will be possibly only update and expanding changes that will be relatively easy and stable to write and translate. About the all levels - well, probably nobody want to do similar thing twice for every language we want to maintain. I guess that best solution will be completely prohibit making translations for any new levels until they're at least 95% done and it's direction of the development is 100% certain.
Translations might be problematic at this moment, because we don't have translated help pages at github
and it's missing translations too
but it mostly works
there are a few things missing, like displaying buttons, ability to switch between master and dev, and obviously some prettier UI
http://i.imgur.com/X3rYJe5.png It's starting to look nice!
*insert thumb up emoticon*
@Simbax is breaking my formatting with the easter egg link Tongue
So if no one will have anything against, then tomorrow release notes without Linux binaries
I tried to add all possible libraries, it segfaulted before the main binary even got loaded
@tomangelo And after trying many different things to get a proper static build I'm tempted to just leave the source code with build instructions
And flatpacks/snaps/MagicApps/whatever are still quite WIP projects, so we either not distribute binaries at all and link to repositories and compilation guide, or distribute with all .so files needed by game.
Sometimes it's an archive with all possible libraries.