Shoutbox archive

Go to last read | Mark all read

@True Destroyer: BTW models: Not everybody know, but I established a little the official object's models remastering for TerranovaTeam (little sneak peek: http://i.imgur.com/cHn1EgB.png). There's still few issues that I need to polish until this will be oficially in GOLD. Well, I think this would be good topic for next developer's blog post. I TerranovaTeam let me, I can start writing about my work on that models. I guess @tomangelo you too should write something about your refreshed models as they are going to be first in game.
Ok, I got 2.7 already for some scripts will update to 3.x , i'll figure if I can keep these versions togetherSmile will try to make some lore firendly models based on existing models, like wrecks, or scaled objects.
It's important - Python 3, not 2.x.
You can also compile from code model converter, which convert mod <-> txt. You can then import txt files by Blender plug-in available in repository. This method is quite more labor-intensive, so if you don't mind instaling Python 3 for obj converter, then you would rather use first way.
@True Destroyer there is model converter made by @tomaszkax86 to convert between .mod files used in game and .obj files which you can edit in any 3D software https://github.com/tomaszkax86/Colobot-Model-Converter
Hey I just posted some suggestions, and I thought: do you have software to view/edit models? do you plan on using models created with this software in future?
From many things that could be changed for better in Colobot 2, water would be one thing that'd cause way, way more trouble than it's worth
:\ Right. I meant below water level
Can cave not be underground?
Well, I didn't understand question. I thought we're talking about underground caves. My bad.
Just create some models for cave and building level designing, which perfectly work with each other considering size and textures... You know, walls, ceilings, corners, some more specific objects like a broken wall, a ceiling with a hole, a concave corner... Like it's done in like every game ever. They should have round sizes (walls f.e. 4 units width, 5 units height) so they can be worked with comfortably enough. If objects can be added to the game easily, it doesn't need any more re-factoring, only good assets. Other ways are far less flexible or too complicated to be worth implementing. Don't reinvent the wheel.
* a lot of ideas
I have a long idea list for CGE and CR in my mind Smile
Also I don't know how walls texturing would work in tunnels
Still, making instructions like goto() would be breaknecking to make them work in such levels
Then making cave would require only making deep hole in top relief and high place in bottom relief
I've did some research. Models for maps aren't good when it comes to performance. I think that we could make caves, but we need to have multiple relief files (each for one "floor"), or make them with multiple layers. Also scene files divided by separate sections ([Ground] [Underground 1] etc).
It would require whole new scene files organisation
Adding support for terrain models wouldn't be probably huge problem after model format refactoring. But I'm not the one who's gonna texture all remastered terrains with added caves in some places ;P . I hate texturing.
At first it need to implement new maps files and code