Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update video for 0.1.7 release?
I wonder if we should make another update video for the upcoming release. The one we did for 0.1.6 was rather successful, it got 50 likes on YouTube, and I think this is the biggest amount of likes we ever had under a single post. This time the task will be a little bit harder, as the changes are not as visually attractive as they were in the previous one, but I'm sure we could figure something out.

Here is the full changelog for this release, we need to pick the most interesting things to show in the video: http://pastebin.com/iFdic0UV

I'm waiting on responses if we should make a video for this release and ideas on what would you like to see in it.
No. Wait for 0.2.0.
(03-25-2016, 10:57 AM)RaptorParkowsky Wrote: No. Wait for 0.2.0.

Why? I know we have decided to wait with any bigger advertising until 0.2.0, but the game is already a lot more stable than I expected it to be at the 0.2.0 mark. It is still far from being finished, but there are no issues that would make the game unplayable or worse than original Colobot in any way. Showing changes in each version nicely shows the progress that is being made. Releases are so rare that they really need to be properly announced in a best way possible.
No. Too much unworthy effort. We should wait with marketing until we have something attractive and working to show. I'm afraid of making bad first impressions on players.
[Image: XvN5CTW.png] [Image: UYXyyMS.png]
(03-25-2016, 11:54 AM)Simbax Wrote: We should wait with marketing until we have something attractive and working to show.
I'm not saying we should not, I'm saying that it is already working better than I expected it to be at 0.2.0 mark which we decided to be a good point to start marketing.
Video would be cool, but there are some problems with that.
1) In 0.1.6 we had whole new mode, that was a central point of this video. Even if some features weren't related with Code Battles, it still was in a background. Now we don't have such characteristic feature, that would be a "leading hero". We could only have some random jumping cbot->menu->bug fixed-> cbot->bug fixed->documentation->bug fixed.
2) It could require from us a lot of work and there are Easter holidays, some of us might not have so much time to think about movie.
Spoiler :
[Image: unknown.png]
(03-25-2016, 12:47 PM)tomangelo Wrote: 1) In 0.1.6 we had whole new mode, that was a central point of this video. Even if some features weren't related with Code Battles, it still was in a background. Now we don't have such characteristic feature, that would be a "leading hero". We could only have some random jumping cbot->menu->bug fixed-> cbot->bug fixed->documentation->bug fixed.
This is exactly what I meant by saying this update is less attractive than the previous one. We would need to find something that connects all the things we would want to show.

(03-25-2016, 12:47 PM)tomangelo Wrote: 2) It could require from us a lot of work and there are Easter holidays, some of us might not have so much time to think about movie.
On the other hand, this means some time free from school/work, so this may be actually more free time than usually.
Well, I can probably find some time to edit the whole thing, but in Adobe Premiere Essentials (who cares about the project files anyway, they're only needed once) instead of Kdenlive since I don't have any Linux installation and don't plan for having one soon, and also I'm totally out of time and ideas when it comes to the video script, so I can't help much here, but surely I will try the best I can if you decide to make the video anyway.

I still think it's better to not waste more time and just release 0.1.7 as usual, because it's almost ready and the video would only delay the release.
[Image: XvN5CTW.png] [Image: UYXyyMS.png]