Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Object limit?
Experimenting with an extreme difficulty version of Alien Queen mission (Colobot 1.8); after a short while into the game, objects cease being created. If I try to build a building or a bot, I get error message:

"Can not create this, there are too many objects"

OrgaMatter from AlienNests doesn't spawn either, nor does anything else as far as I know.

This must have something to do with the custom AlienQueen code, which is capable of generating invasions of AlienWasps, AlienSpiders, AlienAnts, and AlienWorms of up to 30 enemies created within 0.2 seconds of each other.

Still, the total object count is well below anything I would consider to be a limit (despite the large invasions, they are created on average 5 minutes apart, and most are destroyed by the DefenseTowers before then), much less create any sort of lag for my computer.

Also, reducing the number of objects in the level (destroying buildings, insects, etc) seems to have no effect, so it is probably unlikely it is a set object limit (unless hitting the limit permanently stops object creation for some reason?).

Is it a bug with produce(), some sort of memory leak, or does Colobot have an unbelievably low and unpredictable object limit?
Original Colobot had a hardcoded limit for objects, 500 I believe, and this includes plants, ruins and other level elements, so the number of available slots is usually smaller. What's more, because of the way object IDs worked, even after destroying something you still couldn't create a new object because object slots were permanently unavailable.

In Colobot Gold these problems no longer exist because object limit has been eliminated and object IDs are dynamically allocated.
"After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless."
~The Tao of Programming
(05-02-2016, 07:39 AM)SpaceRocket Wrote: much less create any sort of lag for my computer
Remember that original Colobot was made almost 15 years ago, computers were quite a bit slower back then Wink
(05-02-2016, 11:10 AM)krzys_h Wrote: Remember that original Colobot was made almost 15 years ago, computers were quite a bit slower back then Wink

The computer I have it installed on is even older than Colobot...

(05-02-2016, 08:46 AM)tomaszkax86 Wrote: Original Colobot had a hardcoded limit for objects, 500 I believe, and this includes plants, ruins and other level elements, so the number of available slots is usually smaller. What's more, because of the way object IDs worked, even after destroying something you still couldn't create a new object because object slots were permanently unavailable.
How would I open Colobot's files to fix that?
You need to get source code, change the code and recompile that. Also everyone will need your modified binary to run this level.
Spoiler :
[Image: unknown.png]
(05-02-2016, 09:16 PM)tomangelo Wrote: Also everyone will need your modified binary to run this level.

Why? Tomaszkax86 said the object limit was already fixed in Colobot Gold, and the object limit modification would have no effect on the scene files.
You want to make it for original Colobot, or Gold Edition? Original Colobot still have this limit, while in Gold it's already fixed and doesn't need to do anything.
Spoiler :
[Image: unknown.png]
(05-02-2016, 09:27 PM)tomangelo Wrote: You want to make it for original Colobot, or Gold Edition? Original Colobot still have this limit, while in Gold it's already fixed and doesn't need to do anything.

I assume most people will be using Gold Edition, but I prefer original Colobot, so I want to modify original to fix the limit so that I can test/play the level I am making before putting on colobot.info (as well as future levels that may have large amounts of objects and/or object generators).
If you really want to do it the hard way, you can either open the source files (I don't know which ones), increase the limit and compile it, or you can try using hex editor and edit the executable file (good luck finding all places you need to modify). The easy way is to simply use Colobot Gold instead. Besides, if you are making levels on original Colobot, there might be some incompatibilities when you port to Colobot Gold, so be careful.
"After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless."
~The Tao of Programming
What was the earliest version of Colobot Gold with the object limit fixed? If it is before the only version I have, I might just make it on that, because one of the future levels will also require produce() of AlienNests, which doesn't work in Colobot.
@SpaceRocket : Why do you really need so old GOLD version? Early builds were so unstable and almost unplayable, that even original Colobot v1.0 would be better than for example GOLD-0.1.2. Even graphics was better in original.

Anyway, older GOLD builds you can download here:
http://colobot.info/files/releases/