Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drop dev wiki?
(08-30-2015, 12:28 PM)RaptorParkowsky Wrote: Because linking in main README.md and CONTRIBUTING.md to forum is fragmentation of informations. You will need to keep up-to-date those informations in two places at once. And it will be hard to keep those infos in coherent form.

[Image: oMJmG5w_700wa_0.gif]

Ok, ok, here's a link I am talking about: http://colobot.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=62
Or that one: http://colobot.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=63
Or, while we're at it, that one: http://colobot.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=64

[irony]Yeah, giving links in one README file is such a hard to keep up-to-date information! Links keep changing every 5 seconds, right?[/irony]

(08-30-2015, 12:28 PM)RaptorParkowsky Wrote: Again and again I say that the forum is only for discussions, not official documenting. We can organize and discuss things here, but the main and official informations should be in place DESIGNED for such kind of informations.

Again and again, give us one reason why forum can't be a place for the main and official informations. Because I have a lot of reasons why it can, but I don't see a point of giving links to forums that act like that (even better than some portals and wikis!), if you keep saying some biased opinions without any reasoning behind it. Give us something to discuss, not only opinions.

(08-30-2015, 12:28 PM)RaptorParkowsky Wrote: Most of the people have no time to searching infos about technical aspects of the game in such places like forum. They prefer wiki or GitHub, because forum is for discussions and there's usually a mess of blended and (non)important informations. It's hard to writing and discussing on forum and keep that discussions clean.

Oh, really? Have you made a statistical research about that? No? Your argument is invalid then. No, a group of friends is not a statistical group. If you are telling from your own experience then please, DO NOT USE TERM "MOST PEOPLE", unless you are some sort of god.

Also it was often (and I am talking about all projects in general, to make it clear) a lot easier to just read some __STICKY__ threads to clear basically 90% of doubts than, what you called it, "searching" through billions READMEs scattered everywhere or trying to find an information on portal or empty wiki. People can also post under these threads, for example to remind about a need of update, giving additional informations, asking and answering new questions etc. That's a huge advantage.

(08-30-2015, 12:28 PM)RaptorParkowsky Wrote: Why not different READMEs? Every README can be about different technical aspect of the game. When someone will want to contribute in, for example, translations, then he just read TRANSLATING.md and focus on main thing that he need to do and content that he need to provide to us or commit/request himself. The same situation will be when we decide to use GitHub's Wiki. He just go into right page.

Yeah, "the same situation will be when we decide to use" forums. "He just go into right" thread.

Also, tell me more about these super READMEs that even you can't read and I'm wondering if you even know that half of them exist, because not so long time ago you were complaining about how to edit translations and I'm still not sure that you understood them, even I have understood them after trying to explain them to you. The only thing you needed to do was to search something about gettext format and read some tutorials. Situations like this are demotivating, because it is clear that there will always be lazy people who will not even try to find ANY information before asking, so what's the point of ANY documentation if they will be complaining and asking anyway.

What I want to say by the above paragraph is that you are a person that can't use current documentations and at the same time you are defending it. I am at least using it and I am only telling what is comfortable for me in that matter. Tons of READMEs are definitely not.

Also, read what @tomangelo 's said above.

EDIT: Oh, and also, I think the discussion here is over, because @krzys_h 's has already set on GitHub wiki and if you haven't noticed I have already rewritten one thread to a proper wiki page and I'm pretty sure that most of TerranovaTeam will not even look there more than twice, not even mentioning editing it. I hate that a lot of times here people who shout the loudest have nothing to do with a case. I could swear that one day I will be giving warns for empty discussions for people who are not doing anything related to the subject. Yes, I know, I would get this kind of warn too, doesn't change my point.
[Image: XvN5CTW.png] [Image: UYXyyMS.png]

Messages In This Thread
Drop dev wiki? - by piotrdz - 08-28-2015, 05:34 PM
RE: Drop dev wiki? - by tomangelo - 08-28-2015, 05:58 PM
RE: Drop dev wiki? - by RaptorParkowsky - 08-28-2015, 06:14 PM
RE: Drop dev wiki? - by tomangelo - 08-28-2015, 09:09 PM
RE: Drop dev wiki? - by RaptorParkowsky - 08-28-2015, 09:29 PM
RE: Drop dev wiki? - by tomangelo - 08-29-2015, 12:00 AM
RE: Drop dev wiki? - by Simbax - 08-29-2015, 06:13 AM
RE: Drop dev wiki? - by krzys_h - 08-29-2015, 09:25 AM
RE: Drop dev wiki? - by Simbax - 08-29-2015, 11:25 AM
RE: Drop dev wiki? - by RaptorParkowsky - 08-29-2015, 11:41 AM