Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colobot Project 2
1. Good question. The source code is open, so anyone can use or modify it as long as one's modified code is public. Read about GPLv3 license for more. But, the ability to use the name "Colobot" was given to TerranovaTeam and only TerranovaTeam as a whole. That means that it would be illegal even for individual members of the Team to use the name "Colobot" for their own projects, so you should be ok as long as you call it differently. If it will be a good project I don't see a reason why wouldn't we advertise it on ICC.
2. Whatever suits your needs. If you want your own engine, then C++ is basically the only choice. Otherwise, just choose an engine that you think will let you get the job done (wonder what you want in your game and then choose an engine with features you need). Edit: I think I didn't fully understand you, you want to edit the Colobot game, not create a whole new project? If so then well, you just need to read some READMEs in the repository in order to configure your development environment and you are good to go, at least when it comes to coding.
3. Yes, Colobot: Gold Edition is written in C++ (although it is still written in painful C-like code in many places). It uses its own engine, with a lot of useful 3rd party open libraries like Boost or SDL2.
4. I don't know what you don't know, but there are some things one need to keep in mind during creating a video game:
- it WILL take a long time, especially if you are working alone and are unexperienced. A full completed game like that would take months if not years to make.
- games are the most complicated type of art that ever existed. Programming is only one part, every game developer needs also at least one graphics designer or ability to do it by himself. If you can't make music, you are left with Creative Commons tracks or buying a license from someone. Some writing skills would be good to have too and many other "little" things.
- creating a decent game engine is probably not worth it, unless you are not in hurry or you really need some odd feature, which is not available in one of the existing engines. Remember that there is a huge difference between creating a game engine and an actual game. The former needs a lot of skill, time, and technical knowledge, the latter is rather about scripting levels, game mechanics, AI etc. You must know what you want to do and how much time you have to spare, or you might some years later wake up with half an engine finished and already forgot 90℅ of what you wanted to make.
- will there be a programming language in your game? Creating one is another story, needs some non-trivial knowledge. I'd suggest to just use LUA or Python or whatever scripting, easy to embed in your engine language. Maybe CBOT, but I don't know if it's possible right now to make CBOT a standalone library for use without the Colobot engine, maybe in the future
- that's all I can think of right now, but there is more.

Sorry for any mistakes, I'm writing from my phone.
[Image: XvN5CTW.png] [Image: UYXyyMS.png]

Messages In This Thread
Colobot Project 2 - by SpaceRocket - 12-22-2015, 01:17 AM
RE: Colobot Project 2 - by Simbax - 12-22-2015, 08:50 AM
RE: Colobot Project 2 - by krzys_h - 12-22-2015, 12:22 PM
RE: Colobot Project 2 - by tomangelo - 12-22-2015, 05:31 PM
RE: Colobot Project 2 - by SpaceRocket - 12-22-2015, 06:31 PM
RE: Colobot Project 2 - by Simbax - 12-22-2015, 08:21 PM
RE: Colobot Project 2 - by tomangelo - 12-22-2015, 08:34 PM
RE: Colobot Project 2 - by SpaceRocket - 12-22-2015, 10:17 PM
RE: Colobot Project 2 - by Simbax - 12-22-2015, 10:52 PM
RE: Colobot Project 2 - by SpaceRocket - 12-23-2015, 06:21 PM