The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.15 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bots, Everywhere
Hello there!

I recently stumbled upon ColoBot Gold while searching for a fun way to learn programming. I am as new to the world of code as one can possibly be. Aside from having been gaming relentlessly for a while now, my only other experiences with the intricacies of computer science are not fit to mention on a morally-bond forum  Big Grin

That being (shamelessly) said, I have been finding it both fun and challenging to start learning with Colobot. I look forward to gaining applicable skills with this promising program.

Would anyone happen to have advice for this noob on which basics I could pursue, some foundation programs that can be learned from and\or expanded on? Pointing me in any direction would be much appreciated, as I am about as lost as they come lol

So far I have been using the ColoBot's Wikipedia page's code as a layout of what is expected of the code to get a desired result. The basic retrieval code. Been working good for the first three missions too. My largest problem would be, the syntax of the language. What goes where and why. That just blows over my head  Huh Any ideas where they have a book\pdf that explains that stuff? It would help me loads. All those dots and slashes and semi-colons make my head hurt lol

I've always been more of a physically orientated person. Never played sports in school because it was boring though. I prefer testing my limits, breaking them and pushing beyond as far as I possibly can. The drive for new challenges led me to ColoBot and this community.

The Admins have worked hard here and the value of their efforts are clear to be seen. I look forward to learning from the enthusiastic and talented people here!

Now, off to the Ship! I have resources to stockpile and bots to whip into shape  Arrow

Edit: -Lost in space-

Frustratingly unable to teach a caveman programming from the first written line, indeed! Though few succeed the first try and I am known to be, stubborn. I just wish I could crack the language code. What goes where and in which order, etcetcetc. I'd have them bots doing the Conga in no time! Lol

Fact is, it's ColoBot and I against the world as most other forms of programming studies are inaccessible to me at the moment and... generally speaking make my mind seek out its "happy place". Which usually leads me staring at the ceiling and grinning like an idiot (don't ask, don't tell Wink )

Thank you for the head's up, I am looking forward to either taming the beast of coding or being outsmarted by a bunch of digital ants lol

I read posts here about the upcoming course and it truly sounds like an excellent innovation to be added to the already great, but not very "stone age-friendly" game. I hope to be able to give it a go when the chance arises! Especially since I am having trouble with something as simple as a collection and relocation program. Ironic since that would be the first useful thing to learn. Told ya I'm brand-spanking new lol

Messages In This Thread
Bots, Everywhere - by RedRover - 10-09-2016, 08:33 PM
RE: Bots, Everywhere - by Simbax - 10-09-2016, 10:22 PM
RE: Bots, Everywhere - by True Destroyer - 10-10-2016, 01:27 AM
RE: Bots, Everywhere - by RedRover - 10-10-2016, 02:10 AM
RE: Bots, Everywhere - by tomaszkax86 - 10-10-2016, 12:14 PM