Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How build my own colobot with CMake?
Attached thread "Microsoft Visual Studio Building" describes nothing useful for average programmer, or beginner programmer and especially totally useless for people which never programmed anywhere but in Colobot.

How the hell i might understand what it's saying in that instructions?:

3. Copy the content of the bin directory to a place which is included in your PATH environment variable or just add the bin directory to your PATH variable. You may need to restart your computer or the command line after that.

1.) What bin directory?Of CMake which i just downloaded?But there are no obvious bin in main folder. I searched btw,found like 5 of them which should i copy? Or its bin of colobot? But there is no such thing in colobot folder.
2.) What is the  PATH environment variable i well know what variable in programming is, but what implied here? 

4. Use cmake-gui or the command line in order to build Colobot to some directory (preferably colobot-repo\build).

1.) What is cmake-gui, downloaded latest version of CMake from off-site and no .exe-files, nothing with which i could run it. BTW created new CMake project in VS 2017, seems empty or i missing something.

5. Run cmake with variables set properly according to the package and your environment:

Again, there is no .exe file for running, and no CMakeSetup.exe file as guided in official site of CMake....

I don't continue that list because it all even more darkness, would be even more questions about building colobot.
I think you downloaded CMake source code instead of binary. Below sources there are binary packs, both Installer and ZIP packages does have bin directory. There is also cmake-gui.exe file in this bin directory.

You need to edit environment variables https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm. In System variables there is PATH variable, you either need to install/unpack Cmake in one of these paths, or install it anywhere you want and add this path to PATH variable.
Spoiler :
[Image: unknown.png]
(05-31-2018, 09:09 PM)tomangelo Wrote: I think you downloaded CMake source code instead of binary. Below sources there are binary packs, both Installer and ZIP packages does have bin directory. There is also cmake-gui.exe file in this bin directory.

TNX alot! Now good mood of the day back to me.
Why the hell they didnt put normal versions first.
Ok, now i reach the point of build, but i cant because error tells me that i'm doing something wrong:

[Image: whatwhat.jpg]

4. Use cmake-gui or the command line in order to build Colobot to some directory (preferably colobot-repo\build).

Directory for source code i choose simple copy of colobot directory, second - empty NEW folder. In "Configure" autochoose was simple VS 2017(which i have installed and its work fine like five months in this computer. After that error in cmake-gui i went into description of my VS and there was x64 version, so i choose in configure x64, but still same error, now i tried everything and no idea what to do next, no google and Youtube videos cant help me i simple choose something wrong in cmake-gui.

P.S. In instruction number 5. Run cmake  Cant run it at all, after running cmake.exe its close itself in first millisecond...
P.P.S How can i use the spoiler function to cut aside that images and other stuff on this forum?No such button i can see here..
(06-01-2018, 10:13 AM)Engelard Wrote: Directory for source code i choose simple copy of colobot directory
This time you did the reverse - you are using binary package instead of source code. Download sources from http://github.com/colobot/colobot instead.
"Attached thread "Microsoft Visual Studio Building" describes nothing useful for average programmer, or beginner programmer and especially totally useless for people which never programmed anywhere but in Colobot."

I'm sorry you feel that way. I will take a look at this and try to make it more understandable for people unexperienced with C++ programming, especially CMake.
[Image: XvN5CTW.png] [Image: UYXyyMS.png]
(06-01-2018, 10:43 AM)krzys_h Wrote:
(06-01-2018, 10:13 AM)Engelard Wrote: Directory for source code i choose simple copy of colobot directory
This time you did the reverse - you are using binary package instead of source code. Download sources from http://github.com/colobot/colobot instead.

Ou.. 

Error again. Well now there is something at least:

[Image: whatwhat.jpg]
You probably need to add a path to Visual Studio command tools to the PATH variable, I don't remember the details, but they should be in a folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools, depending on your version.
[Image: XvN5CTW.png] [Image: UYXyyMS.png]
(06-01-2018, 12:31 PM)Simbax Wrote: You probably need to add a path to Visual Studio command tools to the PATH variable, I don't remember the details, but they should be in a folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools, depending on your version.

Done(last)

[Image: added.jpg]

Didnt work(PC was restarted after that).

I'm get tired after all that stuff - tried to simply run all stuf directly from VS(i've seen possibility of creation CMake project recently in my VS).

Run VS, press File>Open>CMake then i choose CMakeLists.txt and thats what i got:

[Image: vstt.jpg]

Is that right stuff? Or i should keep doing that ancient type of actions with CMake files from instruction?
After me just opened it it got such strange error:

Error at C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/CommonExtensions/Microsoft/CMake/CMake/share/cmake-3.10/Modules/CMakeCompilerIdDetection.cmake:110 (message):
  No preprocessor test for "Embarcadero" C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/Common7/IDE/CommonExtensions/Microsoft/CMake/CMake/share/cmake-3.10/Modules/CMakeCompilerIdDetection.cmake 110

What is that about? I did'nt change anything, just opened source first time.