Poll: Should this be considered?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Seem's like a good idea.
45.45%
5 45.45%
Maybe, we'll see what happens.
45.45%
5 45.45%
Probably not. Too much work.
9.09%
1 9.09%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, & other language translations for Gold Edition
This would be a great idea for Gold Edition. As soon as you guys are done with the more important work on the project, we can consider inputting more languages so foreigners of the Colobot Community can experience this galactic adventure in their own language.

You guys at TerranovaTeam don't have to start this right away, but you should consider this in the near future.

Oh, and Simbax... Can I haz some Pie???
#KillQueenNowReplaceLater
[Image: 30848703772_6068ae12f5_n.jpg]
We need to know these languages or ask someone who knows them in order to translate. Google translate is definitely not going to be used for this purpose. Adding support for new languages shouldn't be a big problem. If someone is willing to translate game to new language, we can consider adding it at some point.
"After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless."
~The Tao of Programming
(04-15-2015, 04:53 PM)tomaszkax86 Wrote: We need to know these languages or ask someone who knows them in order to translate. Google translate is definitely not going to be used for this purpose. Adding support for new languages shouldn't be a big problem. If someone is willing to translate game to new language, we can consider adding it at some point.

Good thinking. I disagree with using Google Translate too.

Indeed, we have a long road ahead of us.
Refactoring of translation system is necessary to provide better translating support. Current system can handle only 4 languages, but I agree that in future we should add better solution.
Spoiler :
[Image: unknown.png]
(04-15-2015, 09:11 PM)tomangelo Wrote: Refactoring of translation system is necessary to provide better translating support. Current system can handle only 4 languages, but I agree that in future we should add better solution.

Not true - it can handle more than that. We've already added Russian. It only takes like 10 lines of code + running a few scripts to add new languages.
Oh, I didn't know that.

Ok, so now we only need a people who could translate the game.
Spoiler :
[Image: unknown.png]
Shouldn't a quality of incoming translations be verified before adding them officially? At least by using Google Translate to check if there are any vulgarisms or wrong informations. For such things in official translations TT will be blamed, not a random guy from the internet who sent them.
[Image: XvN5CTW.png] [Image: UYXyyMS.png]
I say already on old forum that i can translate CG form polish to dutch
(04-16-2015, 02:17 PM)Simbax Wrote: Shouldn't a quality of incoming translations be verified before adding them officially? At least by using Google Translate to check if there are any vulgarisms or wrong informations. For such things in official translations TT will be blamed, not a random guy from the internet who sent them.

Google Translate isn't a reliable source. Not only do we need a human interpreter to check if the translation is correct or if there are any changes that need to be made, but we also must consider making bigger changes to your current translation system. Such as fixing certain problems & bugs, adding in more major implementations, ect.
(04-16-2015, 06:31 AM)krzys_h Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 09:11 PM)tomangelo Wrote: Refactoring of translation system is necessary to provide better translating support. Current system can handle only 4 languages, but I agree that in future we should add better solution.

Not true - it can handle more than that. We've already added Russian. It only takes like 10 lines of code + running a few scripts to add new languages.

That's good, but I do think a documentation on how to add another language would be a welcome addition. I am by no means a programmer (especially when it comes to C++) and I've only been able to find a list of languages in src/common/global.h. What exactly are those "10 lines" and "a few scripts"?

And just BTW, are we going to have another go at Pootle? It seemed to worked fine until, well, it went batshit crazy. We can of course try some other solutions, like Weblate (which I remember as being really awful when dealing with a lot of strings from Game Dev Tycoon) or resort to a webapp like Transifex, CrowdIn or Zanata (haven't used the last one, but looks pretty slick).
[Image: 76561198011930439.png]
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake, you just keep on trying 'till you ran out of cake" - GLaDOS
https://github.com/colobot/colobot/blob/...#L170-L182
Add new language to the enum (1 line)

https://github.com/colobot/colobot/blob/...1549-L1683
CApplication::GetLanguageChar add one-char language code (3 lines)
CApplication:TonguearseLanguage add two-char code => enum value conversion (5 lines)
CApplication::SetLanguage add locale name => enum value and enum value => locale name conversions (6 lines)

That's exactly 10 lines of code, looks like my guess was pretty exact (I wasn't checking earlier) Tongue And a lot of lines are just brackets.

After that, copy every *.pot file to <langcode>.po in the same directory (po/ directory in main game repo, and files in help and level directories in data repo)
Then, do the usual "cmake .. && make && sudo make install" after every change to the translations

(04-21-2015, 03:06 PM)Schocker Wrote: [quote='krzys_h' pid='5755' dateline='1429162287']
And just BTW, are we going to have another go at Pootle? It seemed to worked fine until, well, it went batshit crazy. We can of course try some other solutions, like Weblate (which I remember as being really awful when dealing with a lot of strings from Game Dev Tycoon) or resort to a webapp like Transifex, CrowdIn or Zanata (haven't used the last one, but looks pretty slick).
Yeah, we should do something about that. Maybe I'll try reinstalling Pootle later. Whatever we do, I'd prefer a self-hosted solution, maybe with git integration, preferrably supporting files spread between multiple directories (Pootle doesn't have the last one unfortunatelly).
I’m not sure how the current alpha handles languages, but I noticed that after installing it, all the menus and default UI texts were in german, which is probably because I have a german system. However, everything mission-related (level descriptions, SatCom etc.) was english, with the exception of planet names (though they’re not the same ones that I know from the original game). After searching the game files, I found a folder for translations, and it looks like the german and english folders have the same content.

So I was wondering: Are you simply missing some files? If so, I might be able to provide them, since I actually own a german copy of Colobot. (I’m not sure if that would be legal though, even if the game is now open source.)
From what I remember we had German translations only for the interface and we are missing translations for the level files.
Providing these files is probably legal since the game code has been open souced along with all level files, textures etc.
Alright, I’ll just attach them to this post. I also included the scene folder because those files have all the level names and summaries. Just let me know if anything’s missing.

Attached Files
.zip   ColobotFilesD.zip (Size: 458.6 KB / Downloads: 371)
Thanks, I'll make sure to add those before we release 0.1.5 (probably tomorrow)
Hi,

I don't know where should I post that.
I haven't found any decent english document(ation) /I mean pdf, doc.../.
Thus I extracted the in game's help and add some minimal reorganization.
It's about 80% ready in a single google doc write file.
Does somebody interest it?
I would share/upload it.
Yes please. We could use some help with documentation. We'll probably merge it with our existing stuff and/or extend it with new content.
"After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless."
~The Tao of Programming
(05-07-2015, 12:11 PM)tomaszkax86 Wrote: Yes please. We could use some help with documentation. We'll probably merge it with our existing stuff and/or extend it with new content.
Ok, I atached html version without little pictures. The full version pdf, odt are too large for atachment.

Attached Files
.zip   Colobotdocumentation-html_only.zip (Size: 45.71 KB / Downloads: 367)
(04-25-2015, 03:56 PM)Andii Wrote: Alright, I’ll just attach them to this post. I also included the scene folder because those files have all the level names and summaries. Just let me know if anything’s missing.

I have imported all these translations to our repository. There was everything we needed in these files and we now have complete German translation of the game. You can check out latest dev branch to see for yourself Smile .
I know this is a little bit off-topic for the current replies going on, but it is very relevant to the original post.

Rather than having different language Colobots put out like Epsitec did (Eg. Colobot-PL 1.3, Colobot-EN 1.17, etc.), it might be a good idea to have all the languages in the one game and have a language selection menu in the options or linked on the main menu.
[Image: yourmcinformer.png][Image: yvl8a2.png]

I can currently code in CBot and LuaJ 5.1 fluently and am currently learning C++ and Java. I plan on becoming a game developer in the near future.

I just want to say a big giant thanks to Colobot for introducing me to the world of programming.

I decided to spreddit my Reddit