Poll: Replace wiki with online version of SatCom?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
77.78%
7 77.78%
No
0%
0 0%
I don't know
22.22%
2 22.22%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is our wiki going?
(05-07-2015, 07:59 PM)tomangelo Wrote: I cannot make a poll in topic.
Are you sure? Well, I can...
I've set the expiration date of the poll to 7 days since now.
I'd like to have an explanation. SatCom online sounds like an idea. But we need a fall back in case Internet connection is down. Plus, we need to design it carefully and make it forward compatible. Ergo, it will have the same data format at any given time. Is that how you see it? For me it will make sense if we actually implement SatCom online when everything is ready for it. But that would be after/during CEGUI rewrite, wouldn't you agree?
"After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless."
~The Tao of Programming
That's not really how this is supposed to work. We still have normal .txt files for the game in the data package. The plan is to instead of having a wiki with the same information as in SatCom we just add a online viewer for these files that will be loaded directly from the GitHub repo.
I think it's a good idea, if you guys make SatCom online with wiki functions, like searching for articles or editing, perhaps in more languagaes?
If it is possible of course
[Image: ehehe.png]
Korwin też był na księżycu...
Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I know you've spend a lot of your time in order to make it like what the game is now. So please are not offended when someone new to this matter has got his/her own thoughts....

I like the idea of "extra information" in SatCom. But why do you want to make Colobot a "always online" game?

Why not have SatCom as standard information that can be expanded to extra information with an offline database backup.
There could be an option to update this database in order to get the least data from github (if there is an online connection). In the meanwhile each data that will be shown as it is but you'l have also has an extra field "as of date ..." so you see how old the data is and if it's necessary to update again.
There could be also seperate files for example: colobot-satcom-update-2015-06.zip that can be downloaded and copied to the colobot-folder and will be used directly in order to update the database. So anybody (with rare or none internet connection) can play still a farely up to date game.

But this doesn't mean you have to shutdown the wiki. Why not have it side by side with github?
(06-06-2015, 11:16 AM)Bot2Hot Wrote: But why do you want to make Colobot a "always online" game?

We don't. @krzys_h explained it a few posts above:

(05-08-2015, 10:45 AM)krzys_h Wrote: The plan is to instead of having a wiki with the same information as in SatCom we just add a online viewer for these files that will be loaded directly from the GitHub repo.

The game won't even know about the existence of SatCom Online. They may (and should) share the same code parsing formatting and rendering, but that's it. It will be only a viewer, similar to the one in the game. They will use exactly the same content files.

About updating... I think, the in-game documentation should be tied up with the game version. It doesn't make sense to update separately documentation in 1.3 version of the game, as the newest documentation may describe non-existing things introduced in 1.5 version of the game and this would only lead to confusion. Although, the on-line viewer should give an option to change the version. Maybe ten last commits in case of dev branch, or ten last tags in case of master branch.

(06-06-2015, 11:16 AM)Bot2Hot Wrote: Why not have it side by side with github?

I thought it was already explained.

• We would need to maintain two separate documentations.
  • There would be a huge chance of inconsistent informations.
  • It would be a waste of our human resources.
Also, I don't think you understand what GitHub is. It's a source code hosting with a version control support and the game is developed there, if one could say so. We must keep the game's data there anyway, so why create another storage, when we can just use what we have?
[Image: XvN5CTW.png] [Image: UYXyyMS.png]
I love the brief description of this game it gets to the point and makes it sound very interesting Smile