Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CoLoBoT 15th Anniversary Preparations
I have finally some time to respond to that thread. Maybe you don't noticed this, but thanks to @Emxx52 I've updated initiational post a little, so re-read it to get the things right.

krzys_h Wrote:Don't you even dare to say that. We were supposed to stop making releases perfect. https://colobot.info/forum/showthread.php?tid=757
Well, ok. But I still have to admit that releases had some obvious and nasty bugs or even strange differences between release/debug compilation. The only thing we could do in the future to prevent that situations is... well, testing. More testing.
krzys_h Wrote:That sounds like a bad idea because it's breaking the license terms we set ourselves...
Well, in the post update I stated that we don't must to have all sources yet. Anyway, depends on the situation and type of game asset it may become hard to maintain all sources. Especially for graphic and music assets. We can probably just make more repos for them, but I don't think I'm right person to discuss anything about maintaining development stuff.
krzys_h Wrote:I'd rather do that in code so that we don't need to distribute more assets than needed by the game itself. We can make those a downloadable mod for backwards compatibility if it's really needed.
Long time ago I thought about something like the official legacy repo that would contain all original assets from Colobot, CeeBots, stuff found in ceebot.zip and even other EPSITEC games. It could be helpful for modders who needs some old stuff for making levels, mods, etc. GOLD would be evolving in it's own way then in it's own repo, gradually replacing old assets with new and cleaning unnecessary stuff.
krzys_h Wrote:This is not really needed, especially if we are still officially an alpha version. Nobody cares about the few MB that will save.
Well, for me it's something that will take only a minute or two, so I don't see any problem in saving kilobytes in such way. Especially if it helps in some maintaining problems.
krzys_h Wrote:++, I think we could do that with all temporary/unfinished assets
So may I make an propositional issue for that feature in our settings menu? Or maybe it should be available in the other place in game? I guess it depends mostly on current UI engine limitations.
krzys_h Wrote:So you upgraded Emxx from version 52 to 56 without telling anyone? :>
Just another bug in my post. I hope it's fixed now enough.
krzys_h Wrote:Do you think that would be a good idea? We could try to find all the people who are listed in the credits and on https://web.archive.org/web/200306290944...team-e.htm and contact them.
I totally like this idea, maybe that will keep the things alive for more time. But firstly we really should do all the things needed to make it look good. Our website, our game, everything.

I'll be making contact with @Adrian at a days to encourage him to make object textures 100% done. I hope there's no need to providing sources for them now, especially if they will be almost useless at this stage of development. When I'll be in full-time development in the case of hi-poly models then I'll be able to provide proper sources for everything. I guess we can just replace old with new ones and even old GPUs will be fine. I'ts different situation that with @tomangelo 's models.

I'll collect all or part of the assets in next month, when I finally get everything right with my PC. Now I can't decide what OS should stay as my primary, so it'll take few days before I actually start making something for this event.

I hope I said everything that was necessary to say now.

Messages In This Thread
RE: CoLoBoT 15th Anniversary Preparations - by RaptorParkowsky - 08-09-2016, 02:38 PM