Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New file extensions
For binary files, file name extensions are not necessary because they often have headers with magic numbers that identify them easily.
Most often the case with images, audio and video files, executables and so many others. But with text files there's no easy way to tell right away what the format and meaning are, so the extension can tell you exactly what a given text file is meant to be. .txt are simple text, .ini files are Windows configuration files, .inf are installer files, and every computer language has its own set of extensions to identify source code. This is why it would be better, in my opinion, if Colobot used special extensions for at least some files.

I think we can at least agree that CBot source code could use .cbot extension. The language definitely deserves some recognition and by reserving unofficially this file name extension we can give it some.

Once we get to fixing this mess with model formats, we could decide if we want to introduce new file name extension for new formats or not. I checked that .cbm and .cmod are already used for some files, but .cbmod and .cbmf are available.

Scene and SatCom files could also use their own extensions to clarify what they mean. We could just use .scene and .satcom since they only really have a meaning within Colobot so it wouldn't cause real problems. We could also use 4-letter extensions and they could start with .cb, like .cbsf for scene files and .cbsc for SatCom files. Both are currently not in use.
"After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless."
~The Tao of Programming

Messages In This Thread
New file extensions - by Simbax - 07-31-2017, 11:58 AM
RE: New file extensions - by tomangelo - 07-31-2017, 12:18 PM
RE: New file extensions - by RaptorParkowsky - 07-31-2017, 12:34 PM
RE: New file extensions - by tomangelo - 07-31-2017, 12:48 PM
RE: New file extensions - by krzys_h - 07-31-2017, 03:57 PM
RE: New file extensions - by radioactivity - 07-31-2017, 04:30 PM
RE: New file extensions - by Simbax - 07-31-2017, 05:20 PM
RE: New file extensions - by krzys_h - 07-31-2017, 09:31 PM
RE: New file extensions - by Simbax - 08-01-2017, 07:38 AM