Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which is translation workflow?
Hi,

I am from C++/Delphi/Java background. I am trying to teach my kid to do programming with Colobot. He does not know English well to read docs in English. There is a Russian translation. But it seems it's translated in 70%. Therefore I am planning to update Russian translation files. I know how to do it: 
I need to update ru.po and other files and put Russian text into msgstr "" 
During the past several years I have been using Svn (and CVS before that). So I have no exprience with Git and GitHub.
Could you please explain which should be translator's workflow (procedure)?

I have already installed GitHub desktop.
Then I selected: https://github.com/colobot/colobot-data
Selected dev branch. 
Then I pressed Clone or Download button.
Then Open in Desktop.

So right now on my desktop I have colobot-data. I opened dev branch.

What's next? I see two possible variants:

Variant 1:

I create a new branch like: russian-translation-update1
then then edit files in this branch. 
then commit.
then send Poll request to merge russian-translation-update1 with dev branch.

Variant 2:

or should I modify files directly in dev branch? 
then commit.
then should I send any Poll requests? Or it's not needed.

Thank you in advance for any help with this topic.
What you need to do is variant 1, but using your private copy of the repo forked from the original one. Then instead of merging it to dev send a pull request and it'll be reviewed and merged by us into main repo. GitHub docs are really helpful, see https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo/
Thank you for the link.

So I should:
1. Create a fork.
2. from dev branch of fork I should create my branch russian-translation-update1
3. do local changes on files.
4. commit changes to my branch russian-translation-update1
5. then it's not clear:
a. should I send poll request to merge my russian-translation-update1 into dev branch of fork?
then do merge.
delete branch russian-translation-update1.
submit new poll request to merge dev branch of my fork with dev branch of original project?

or

b. create new poll request to merge my russian-translation-update1 directly into dev branch of original project ( colobot-data)?
There is already one pull request with Russian translation, that we didn't merged yet https://github.com/colobot/colobot/pull/852
Spoiler :
[Image: unknown.png]
You send the changes from local russian-translation-update1 to russian-translation-update1 in your fork on GitHub. Then you send a pull request from russian-translation-update1 in your fork to dev in main repo.

@tomangelo I didn't mention it because he specifically mentioned the cbot docs in data repo, but it would be nice if @rvasin could look at that pull request too and help us confirm/reject these translations.
(11-24-2016, 02:54 PM)tomangelo Wrote: There is already one pull request with Russian translation, that we didn't merged yet https://github.com/colobot/colobot/pull/852

In this poll request (#852) there were added only 7 new msgstr in Russian.
Why you did not merge it into dev?

UPD: I have verified all these 7 msgstr. The translations are correct.
Maybe we need to improve only the string:
msgid "Restoring CBot execution state"
in Russian it's translated in this poll as "Restoring game" I think there should be more correct translation.

(11-24-2016, 05:34 PM)krzys_h Wrote: You send the changes from local russian-translation-update1 to russian-translation-update1 in your fork on GitHub. Then you send a pull request from russian-translation-update1 in your fork to dev in main repo.
Thank you for the instructions. I will try it.
(11-24-2016, 05:34 PM)krzys_h Wrote: @tomangelo I didn't mention it because he specifically mentioned the cbot docs in data repo, but it would be nice if @rvasin could look at that pull request too and help us confirm/reject these translations.

I wanted to avoid duplicated work, so I linked it there to mark these lines as "possibly done". I misread somehow that it's about docs instead of UI, sorry for that.
Spoiler :
[Image: unknown.png]
I have finally submitted my first pull request:
https://github.com/colobot/colobot-data/pull/27

Jenkins is trying now to put files into the archive:
Writing zip file of /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/colobot/colobot-data/PR-27/build/install to /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/colobot/colobot-data/PR-27/data.zip
It takes more than one hour. Is it normal? It's still in process.

I have verified: the mission and free mission files are about 100% translated to Russian.
There are still files:
\colobot-data\help\cbot\po\ru.po
\colobot-data\help\generic\po\ru.po
These files have about 20-30% of untranslated text. Today I have translated about 10-15% of each file.
So in upcoming days I will try to translate remaining text in all Russian .po files.
Jenkins hang because it ran out of disk space again, I will fix that later, don't worry about it for now.
OK. Thank you.

Hi, what's status we this pull request? I see the error message in Jenkins console:
GitHub has been notified of this commit’s build result

hudson.plugins.git.GitException: Could not checkout

// Double post is forbidden, read §4.4 ~ Simbax
"Проигрывает подземные звуки"
Sounds very laugh, it is meaning "you can hear sounds of subsoil". Translate should be:
"Исследует недра"
(06-06-2017, 07:44 PM)DungeonLords Wrote: it is meaning "you can hear sounds of subsoil"
"[It] plays underground sounds", IMHO.
In my private translation: «Сканирует недра».
I'd clean word "подпочва" from Russion translation at all. This is especially technical term that doesn't use in common language. And «недра» are right variant.
Hi. I would like to add czech language to Colobot. I translated .po file, now im going to tranlate .txt files. Can I work on czech translation? I know how to add new language in menu and where text files are stored.
Certainly. You can make a pull request once you are finished, we can merge the translation after we verify there are no problems with it.
"After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless."
~The Tao of Programming